Google adds shared by number to Google news results
Google seems to be experimenting with adding a "Shared by [number]" stat next to Google News results - so you can see how popular each story is on Twitter etc. Here's a screenshot - you can see "Shared by 5+" next to the news source:
I'm seeing this even though I'm not logged in to my Google account. The people who shared it aren't people I follow on Twitter (not that Google should know this). And I see it only on the news box on the main web search results page. If I click to see all news results, the link disappears. And I can't get it to appear for any other news stories right now!
Have you seen it? What do you think - seems quite a good way to differentiate news stories to me. (And this is different to the ability to integrate your Twitter account with Google News)
Update There's thing thing as well now - with links to recent social media updates under the news box:
Thanks to Greg Power for that second spot.
You might also like
- Is Google abandoning QDF and giving more weight to category pages?
- News of the World cloaking stories and breaking Google paywall rules
- Google adds remove option to Google Autocomplete
- Google street view: which news sites linked?,
- Google will give Murdoch what he wants if he renames the Sun as the Wapping News Journal