Sidestepping Google Sidewiki: changing URLs won’t help
As part of the fuss over Jan Moir, the Daily Mail ended up changing the headline and the URL of its story and 301 redirecting the old URL to the new one.
The original headline and URL were:
- Why there was nothing natural about Stephen Gately's death
The new headline and URL became:
- A strange, lonely and troubling death...
The answer is that Google keeps the Sidewiki, and adds a message at the bottom saying "Originally about: Why there was nothing 'natural' about Stephen Gately's death | Mail Online"
So you can't defeat Sidewiki by just redirecting an old URL to a new one.
You might also like
- Jan Moir: Don’t forget to change your meta descriptions …
- Nofollow: How to link to someone or something you detest (I’m looking at you Jan Moir)
- Jan Moir: Mail readers reject her hateful bile (probably)
- Google Sidewiki: the abuse of UK newspapers begins
- PCC rules on Jan Moir: a strange and troubling ruling.